Friday, June 7, 2013

Bible School or Butch Jones


Have a decision tonight…actually, it’s already made…long ago.

As a University of Tennessee football fan, I am delighted at the hiring of Butch Jones.  Knowing his track record, the moves he has made so far and his inroads in recruiting, he is doing a great job and has the fan base excited.

You see, Coach Jones is coming to Cleveland tonight…going to be speaking at an event open to the public; fundraiser, that is.  No doubt the crowd will be filled to capacity.  Cleveland is a stronghold for UT football and I would love to see and hear Coach Jones. 

But, coach Jones…will catch you later; some other time, some other place.  I know you’ll understand.

See, tonight is the final night of our annual Vacation Bible School where I preach.  I really want to see this good effort end on a high note.  This date has been booked since before last December when we announced our yearly plans to the congregation.

To be quite honest, if I attended this event with the coach, do you think my influence to the congregation would increase?  Not hardly.  How effective do you think I would be in my preaching from here onward?

We know the answer.

And, you know, it’s a “no-brainer” but trust it’s an “all-hearter.”  While I love UT football, I made up my mind a long time ago that my Jesus is more than a coach—He’s my Lord and Master.  The Bible is more than a “playbook of life,” it is THE inspired word of my God and Father.  May we all follow it faithfully helping others along the way.

There is a choice…and there are people that love me, depend on me and watch me.  That’s humbling; a bit scary, too…one never knows the impact he has, whether good or bad (and, that's not for preachers only, folks).  One of my dearest supporters, friend and brother in the Lord is the VBS director and he needs me just like the times I’ve needed him.

So, it was already made…and I’ll be at East Side church of Christ for the last night of an exceptional and awesome VBS.  Join us at 7 and I edify and exhort our congregation to let’s end our last evening on a high note with your presence...

…over at the Wildwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment