Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The preacher and the fire inspector.


Had a visit from the fire inspector this AM.  Real nice guy.  I told him from the start that we both had one thing in common—we want people protected from fire.
After he left; got to thinking that the fire inspector and the preacher have a lot in common.

·         He wanted me to listen for the good of the church…and so do I (2 Tim. 4:1-2; Rom. 10:14).  “…woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel (1 Cor. 9:16).

·         He had guidelines to go by…and so do I (2 Tim. 3:16-17; Jn. 12:48-50; 1 Pet. 4:11).  God’s word is always, without exception, THE standard…not a creed book, manual, thoughts or feelings.

·         He wants people safe from fire…and so do I (2 Thess. 1:7-9; 2 Cor. 5:10-11; Rev. 20:12-15).  Heaven is a FAR better option.

·         He wants people continuously safe…and so do I (1 John 1:7-10; Rev. 2:10).  Little things can be done to insure safety, for we never know when a fire might happen.  Never know when judgment is coming; got to stay ready (Mt. 24:36).

·         He wants people to know correction is a good thing to make us better… and so do I (2 Tim. 3:16; Gal. 4:16; 1 Cor. 11:22c).  Not once did I get mad or angry at the objections he brought forth; I told him to write them down.  Can’t fix it unless we know it’s broken.  I know these things are for our good.

·         He wants things prepared in case of danger…and so do I (Amos 4:12; Mt. 25:1-12).  A few things and adjustments will make us ready in case of fire; we must always be updated and prepared and the same is true spiritually.

·         He wants carbon monoxide detectors installed; it’s odorless and tasteless and can get us quickly…and doctrinally, so do I (Mt. 15:9).  Faithful brethren rooted in the word can detect false teaching.

·         He was gracious and his expression of policy…and I need that reminder (Eph. 4:16).  Thanks, fire inspector for reminding me that a lot of times it’s not the words, but the way it’s said.  (Had to pause and pray about that one).

·         He’s coming back to see if we’ve complied…and so will the Lord (Mt. 25).  Will we be ready for the fire inspector’s return?  I say so.

Are we ready for the Lord’s return and judgment?

Just some random thoughts fresh on the mind after the fire inspector left…from the Wildwood.

1 comment: