Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Lessons from a ticket



                Was thinking about nearly twenty years ago while working for a national food company I was traveling Hwy. 31 south in north middle TN and I was not paying close enough attention to my speed…but a fine state trooper was. Let me just say he did a fine job that day.

              So, to court I go. I was guilty, folks; I was wrong, but sometimes the punishment presents other options than a huge fine and increased insurance premiums. If not, oh, well…what would be. I believe it was Judge Jones, a fine and fair judge that offered the guilty parties to come to a class one Thursday evening and the ticket would be expunged.

                I arrived and I thought, you know, why I am here, let me make the best of this. I might learn something. The instructor? Judge Jones, himself. He addressed a number of things and then he said something that stuck with me even this morning (I used it leaving the Fresh and Low Market on Georgetown Road). It went something like this…


                “Folks, do you know the number one place for accidents in Gallatin? In front of the Kroger store. See, people want to turn left on one of the busiest streets around and shoot across five lanes of traffic. So, the person in the first lane stops to let them out and as they are pulling out, the person in the next lane can’t see them and there is the accident.

                “But you know, why not just take a couple of minutes and drive through the parking lot to the side street? Turn left and go to the traffic light where you can safely use the light and then turn left.

                “What’s a couple of minutes in the scheme of things?”


                Folks, that hit me…and I’ve used it since. Use the traffic lights and be a little safer.


                Now, this is not a blog on driving technique (I hope it helps you as it has me), but let’s bring forth some spiritual thinking…

                What’s a couple of minutes when facing a life changing decision that if you make the wrong choice or allow yourself to be pressured into it, you know it will be wrong? “O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps” (Jer. 10:23). Rely on your God granted faith through His word (Rom. 10:17).

                What’s a couple of minutes when if we say the wrong thing, we will hurt someone and regret it? You’ve been there; I’ve been there and I will probably head that way again (but I sure don’t want to). Remember, our tongues are small but they pack BIG trouble (Jas. 3).

                What’s a couple of minutes? Take them now and turn your life toward the lord in simple faith (Jn. 3:16; Heb. 11:6), repentance (Lk. 13:3; Acts 2:38), confession (Rom. 10:9-10; Acts 8:37) and baptism into Christ for the remission of your sins (Acts 2:38) washing them away (Acts 22:16) and adding you to the church (Acts 2:47). Yes, you can do that this very day.

                What’s a couple of minutes? If your Christian life has not been the right example and you have fallen away (Heb. 3:12), call on a brother, one of the elders, your preacher and get to praying (Acts 8:22-24; 1 Jn. 1:8-10).

                You know, if we take a couple of minutes and address matters we will be amazed how many things can be accomplished. And, spiritually speaking, it’s the most important thing we could do.

             What’s a couple of minutes in the scheme of things…or compared to eternity? Just remembering, reminiscing and appreciative of some good advice still put to use this day...here in the Wildwood.




No comments:

Post a Comment